Wednesday, September 29, 2010

DIY

I am posting as part of We Scout Wednesday over at Scoutie Girl.   Growing up in a Appalachian Kentucky, and being poor, made doing it yourself a necessity since I love to design and create beautiful things.  I never wanted to look like everyone else so started making my clothes from the curtains or remaking other clothing at a young age.  After the money ran out to finish our house addition, I bought paint and found other supplies to make one room into my bedroom.
Today with so many things available already made it sometimes seems like a waste of time to do things yourself.  But I feel like that is where we have lost as a society.  People who create do it because they have to, it is what they were meant to do, it is in our soul.   Many people need to work with their hands, and with so much automation it is harder to find ways to do hands on work.
Quality is also important, when you make/fix something yourself you are in control of the finished product and the quality of the time you spend doing the project.
DIY can be many things, and I hope we can come to appreciate all the things that people do to make life a little more interesting.
New floor we installed after a fire at our studio.

1 comment:

  1. Your floor looks amazing! Now there's some DIY work that I don't think I could do.

    I too agree that much of society has lost the pleasure of making something with your own two hands. Its so fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete